Feb 212011

In another blog, I mentioned re-working some of my old scripts. Partly because, with new versions of some software, some of my older interactivities aren’t performing as well as they should. I made a decision to re-write some of my puzzles with Scratch 1.4. My reasons are as follows:

  1. Scratch files can be embedded reasonably easily on a website.
  2. There’s a sort of ‘compiler’ that can make an executable download from a Scratch file (yes, I know it’s a little more complex than that). So, teachers who want to download single file to run on an interactive whiteboard can do so.
  3. Teachers (and students) can customise Scratch programs using free software. This, to me, is the important one. Although I have learned that most teachers don’t have time to do this, the fewer barriers between being able to modify a program instead of just being a consumer of its content, the better.
  4. Scratch 2.0 is coming! From what I’ve seen so far, it’s going to be an exciting addition to the tools a teacher can use to create and use interactive multimedia in the classroom. I’d like to be in a position to make the most of this – so I’m getting my source code ready.

To whet your appetite, here’s one I’ve been working on recently – it’s embedded on the Scratch website where you will get an advance preview of some more examples of my latest work:

Learn more about this project